Saturday, April 12, 2014

My Own Tribe: A Tribute to My Siblings


You don't get to pick your siblings usually.
You get what you get and you adapt and, if you're lucky, you end up with a lifelong friend or two.

I hit the sibling jackpot.

My parents had four children within four and a half years.
I remember asking my sweet mama, 

"Mom... what were you and Dad thinking?!"
With a twinkle in her eye and a half-laugh, she replied,
"Honey, clearly we weren't THINKING... "
I loved that response.

Together, we faced life as a tribe, of sorts.  The girls would laugh and fight and "borrow" each other's clothing and shoes while our baby brother, Johnny, stayed true to his relaxed disposition. At a very young age, he realized it was best to steer clear of the drama.

We embraced the 80s and MTV and giant hair.  We made our parents sit through our "shows" as we choreographed routines to the Archies and Donny & Marie.

Apparently, last week was National Sibling Week.
I didn't get a post pulled together in time to give my siblings a shout-out, 
so I'm dedicating this blog entry to my three best lifelong friends!

Nancie:
 Much to her chagrin, I grew up wanting to be her.
I played the same sports as her
(soccer, gymnastics, track and cheerleading).
I copied her taste in music, clothing and style.
I hung on her every word.

Nancie is fiercely loyal.  She's the first to strut her pint-sized self across a room to confront anyone who mistreats her siblings. She can hold a good grudge, but loves bigger than you'd believe possible.

She's the voice of reason and a patient listener.     
She is quite possibly the most generous of the siblings,
offering her time and resources whenever she senses a need.

Nancie is a stellar companion.
We have laughed our way across the country as we enjoy travels with our husbands and family.  We confide our most secret thoughts... the details too private or shameful for ordinary discussion. 

We have kept secrets and cried and allowed our differences to be discussed and used as tools to draw us closer together.

She's the assertive leader of our little tribe.
With a heart bigger than what you'd think could fit in her tiny frame, she's a definite keeper! So glad she's mine!



Joanie
Joanie is one of the funniest people ever created. Her quick wit, paired with her theatrical gestures and expressions have left me in fits of tears on more occasions than I could possibly count.  She finds humor in most every situation.

She loves to love and is as passionate as she is bubbly.

My children and stepchildren have been blessed by her love of children and babies.  The love with which she raised her own two precious girls has trickled onto our own children as her girls have now left the nest. 

She loves Christmas and most other holidays, always pairing the occasion with a jingle or two and gifts wrapped in elaborate, artistic packaging. 
Her enthusiasm is never in short supply.

Joanie's performance skills continually leave me in awe.  Her confidence on stage and at the mic have often left me feeling verklempt and so very proud.  She is polished and poised.

My sweet, passionate, dramatic sister Joanie... she's my second keeper!

Johnny:
Last in birth order, but first in the hearts of most who know him is Johnny. 

"The boy with four mothers" endured more than his fair share of sisterly hugs and kisses when he entered the family.  He was our little guy, and all three of the sisters (as well as our mother) were crazy about our littlest tribe member. 

He is an intellect to be reckoned with, and embraces his uncanny knack of inserting humorous quips and comments regularly into any conversation.  Like Joanie, he has the rest of us in laughing fits on a regular basis. 

Johnny's best quality, in my opinion, is his compassion.  He's a terrific listener... open-minded and accepting.  He roots for the underdog and easily gives people the benefit of the doubt.  

He is completely devoted to his wife and two daughters and is still loyally in touch with friends he has collected throughout his life.  He is genuine and easy-going.  I don't believe he has ever known an enemy.  He's DEFINITELY a keeper, too!


Through thick and thin, I know for certain that I could not have asked for a better tribe 
in which to be raised. 
The laughter and love have exceeded plentiful.
Isn't that really what makes the ride worthwhile?

I could not let this week of sibling recognition pass without acknowledging 
my three closest lifelong friends!  

Love you all so SO much!

Love, live, and create with intention,
Kristi



1 comment: