Monday, July 8, 2013

Regaining Perspective & Presence


It's been awhile since my last blog entry.

With the end of the school year and the arrival of summer, I found myself blanketed in busyness. 
Working several jobs created 6-day work weeks, a blur of carpool runs, early mornings, late evenings, and enough pent-up stress to rival a packet of Mentos being dumped into a Coke bottle.

I was about to blow.

Friends' vacations to sun-kissed beaches scattered across Facebook were a constant reminder of the summer I was missing out on because of my self-created busyness.
I needed to simply breathe and become present in my life, but was struggling to do so.

Then my cousin called, offering her home in our beloved Colorado mountains as a possible escape.
Remind me that I need to hug her again.

Gregg and I, along with 3 cars of teenagers (and one "nine-almost-ten"year-old) took the week off and headed to the mountains.

As a native Coloradoan, I'm constantly amazed that the mountains never lose their appeal to me.

The familiar spring under foot as I explore needle-covered forest floors.
The fresh crispness of pine-scented air.
The sound of the breeze as it navigates through branches and boughs.
The feeling of solitude in surroundings so grand, yet the awareness of wildlife all around.

All of it whispers to my soul.

So, when Gregg asked if any of us would like to join him on a hike up Rabbit Ears Peak,
my daughter Kenna, her friend Katie, and I readily agreed.


Rabbit Ears is a long mountain pass that leads to my favorite mountain town, Steamboat Springs.
It's aptly named because of this rock formation at the beginning of the pass.
See the "rabbit ears" formation on the right?


We were immediately amazed by the lush growth as we began our trek along an old jeep trail.


I stopped, closed my eyes, and inhaled the thin air.
I felt myself awakening.


Instead of hurrying forward, I paused many, many times along the way to just take in the views. 
I couldn't resist the urge to take in long, deep breaths, as if to somehow tuck part of this grand scene inside.



I listened to two giggly teens as they reminisced about moments in their friendship, 
and I connected with their innocence.

And then it happened (as it always does when you seek it):


It felt as if the sun moved out from behind a cloud and the world was instantly brighter.


The mountain wildflowers became vibrant and focused as they moved from the background and commanded my attention.



Moments that would have been lost on most hikers became worthy of my stillness.



Colors not able to be accurately captured on film revealed themselves as I let myself completely and fully appreciate this wondrous creation.

I endured a few "Double Rainbow" jokes from Gregg and the girls at my verbal amazement before we headed back to the car.


I took one last look back at the wild Columbines 
(Colorado's state flower and a very personal reminder to "never forget")
and inhaled fully one last time.

I was in my mountains. I was completely at peace. I was filled once again.

Love, Live, and Create with intention,
Kristi

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Wow again. You have a way with words dear Kristi that expresses exactly how I feel too. I'm sitting in Austin, TX and can't wait now to come home. But I will be present here until then. I will fit in a hike through some wild flowers next week and please let me paint a few of your beautiful photos?

    ReplyDelete